Ads by Google Ads by Google

Where's the 'peace on earth' — cops make multiple PPD arrests

Court Report logo

Pago Pago, AMERICAN SAMOA — A man who was intoxicated and caused a disturbance at his family home in Tafuna was arrested and charged with public peace disturbance.

Viliamu Tufuga made his initial appearance in District Court last week, where he entered a 'not guilty' plea. He was later released on his own recognizance and his next court appearance is set for next month.

According to the government's case, Tufuga’s aunt contacted police for assistance, saying her nephew (Tufuga) was drunk and unruly, and he was attempting to throw a rock at her vehicle, which was parked in front of their home.

The defendant's aunt told police that Tufuga’s friend had called her, telling her that he was dropping Tufuga off "because he is a troublemaker."

According to the criminal complaint, Tufuga's friend allegedly scolded Tufuga and told him that he has an attitude problem when he is drunk, "and that has been his main problem." Tufuga allegedly became upset and started yelling back at his friend during a drinking session after work, "aggressively, as if trying to pick a fight with his friend."

Tufuga’s aunt said that after she contacted police, Tufuga allegedly went outside and started yelling profanities and screaming Samoan war cries.

She said her nephew has been arrested "so many times for the same reason" — being drunk and causing a disturbance at her house — "especially when the children are home." His aunt told police she does not want him back at the house, "because he is always causing trouble… disturbances,” and using profanity in front of her children.

Investigators said they could smell alcohol coming from Tufuga when he was being booked. They also report that his speech was slurred and his eyes were bloodshot.

Standard conditions of release include Tufuga remaining sober at all times.


The next court date for a man who has been released on his own recognizance and ordered to maintain peace at home is January 14, 2022.

Iolamo Iopu is charged with public peace disturbance for allegedly disturbing the peace in his Ottoville neighborhood last week.

According to the government's case, a neighbor contacted police to report that she was asleep when she heard loud noises coming from the Iopu’s residence. She claims Iopu was yelling and screaming at his wife, who, along with Iopu’s sister-in-law, were trying to calm him down, "but to no avail."

Police who responded to the call say they could smell a strong odor of alcohol emitting from Iopu when they approached him. Investigators say the children were present, and they "were crying and appeared scared."

According to the court documents, Iopu came home around 11p.m, and when his wife asked him where he had been, he became angry and started arguing with her. The wife believes Iopu was out with another woman, and when she inquired about it, "he got so mad" and that's what sparked the escalated argument.

Despite all the alleged yelling and screaming, cops say they didn't observe any signs of physical abuse of Iopu's wife, sister, or the children.

Upon arrival at the Tafuna Police Substation, cops weren't able to obtain a statement from Iopu regarding what happened at home, because he kept telling police he didn't remember anything.

According to Immigration, Iopu’s immigration ID expired two years ago.


A 32-year-old male accused of disturbing the peace in a restaurant parking lot last week Wednesday made his initial in District Court last week, where he entered a not guilty plea to the single charge of public peace disturbance. The defendant is Solo Feta’i.

His defense attorney asked the court to release his client on his own recognizance, saying this is his first offense and the allegation against him is not serious. The prosecutor did not oppose the defense’s motion.

The court granted the defense’s motion and released the defendant under usual conditions that include being alcohol and drug free.

“You are not allowed to go back to the restaurant compound at anytime,” the court told the defendant on penalty of being jailed until his case is heard.

The government claims that on Nov. 30 around 10:40 p.m, police officers apprehended an unknown individual later identified as the defendant, for disturbing the peace in a restaurant parking lot in the Tafuna area.

Police officers working on the west side said they were at the other side of the restaurant’s parking lot area when they heard someone shouting profane words, both in Samoan and English.

Officers approached the crowd and observed the defendant yelling profanities and challenging people in the parking lot to a fistfight.

Police officers intervened and apprehended the defendant, who was then transported to the Tafuna Police Substation where he was booked and taken to jail to await his first appearance in District Court.

The court affidavit said Feta’i was heavily intoxicated.

An eyewitness told police that the defendant approached another male individual who was standing behind a pick-up vehicle before he (defendant) allegedly punched the male individual in the eye. The victim then jumped inside the pick-up and left the area immediately.