Ads by Google Ads by Google

Young man who got a break a few weeks ago, now charged with yet another PPD

American Samoa District Court building

Pago Pago, AMERICAN SAMOA — A young man who was released by the District Court on his own recognizance a few weeks ago after he entered a not guilty plea to disturbing the public peace PPD and third degree assault is back in court for the same thing.

Aleluia Jr Faumui is now charged with 4 misdemeanors: PPD, third degree assault, third degree property damage, and criminal contempt of court order.

He entered a not guilty plea during his initial appearance in District Court this past Monday, where Judge Elvis P. Patea set bail at $500. If he is able to post bail, Faumui is ordered to stay away from where the alleged incident took place, be a law-abiding citizen, and remain sober.

The government claims that police got a call during the early hours of Sunday, Jan 05, 2020 regarding a man allegedly throwing rocks at their residence, shouting loudly (Samoan war cry), and yelling profanities.

When cops arrived, the defendant walked towards the police unit yelling profanities at them. Faumui appeared to have blood coming from his head onto his face, his hair was also covered with blood and debris.

As cops were trying to exit the police vehicle to apprehend him, Faumui fled but was captured not long afterwards.

As officers were cuffing him, Faumui continued to yell profanities and threaten the officers in Samoan, saying, “o le kaimi lava e kakala ai a’u i kua ou fasiokia uma loa oukou” (As soon as I get released, I will kill you all).”

Faumui continued to resist when he was being placed in a police unit. The government claims that Faumui reeked of alcohol.

The victim told police they were asleep when they heard a rock hit the roof of their home. Afterwards, a big rock landed in their living room. She said that’s when her father and brother walked out to look for the culprit and found Faumui hanging out near their home. He was yelling profanities at the victim's brother and dad.

The victim told police that her brother called out to Faumui, asking why he was yelling bad words at his dad. The victim said she intervened and told her brother that she would handle it, and she ordered him to go home.

 The victim told investigators that Faumui continued to yell profanities in front of their home, and threatened her, saying he was going to come over and cut her with a machete, and chop everyone up.

Upon arrival at the Tafuna Substation, cops say Faumui continued to resist and mouth off at them. When the paramedics arrived to treat Faumui, a request was made to transport him to the LBJ Hospital due to the seriousness of his head injury. Faumui was escorted by two officers. One was with him in the EMS unit, and the other followed in a police unit.

Faumui was treated and released. But he didn't return to where police were waiting. Instead, he ran towards the ER waiting area and attempted to flee. One of the accompanying officers, along with an off duty cop who was at the hospital at the time, ran after him.

Faumui was captured and placed in a police unit where he continued to resist and cuss. Faumui has a pending case in District Court, for disturbing the peace. He and some juveniles got into a fight at the Tedi of Samoa building two months ago.


A young man accused of stealing a carton of cigarettes from an Asian store in Ottoville has been charged with misdemeanor stealing and public peace disturbance.

Pulumu Tafito made his initial appearance before District Court Judge Elvis P. Patea this week, where his attorney, Assistant Public Defender Bob Stuart requested that he be released on his own recognizance.

The motion was granted under certain conditions, Tafito is to remain drug and alcohol free, and he is not to make any direct or indirect contact with the government’s witnesses, or try to enter the Asian store where the alleged incident took place.

According to the government, police got a call that an intoxicated man stole items from an Asian store in Ottoville. The storeowner told police the defendant came in asking for a carton of green Camel cigarettes and two cans of corned beef and after she placed the items on the counter, Tafito put them in his backpack. Afterwards, he asked for 2 large Vaiilma bottles. When the owner walked towards the back to get the beer, Tafito fled but the owner chased after him for payment.

Tafito was apprehended and placed in the storeowner’s car to await police, after Ottoville residents who witnessed the chase, came over to assist.

Tafito’s next court appearance is Jan. 30th.