Status hearing for man who allegedly made port bomb threat last year
Pago Pago, AMERICAN SAMOA — A status hearing for Lepuia’i Allen Mayer in the case where he allegedly made an anonymous bomb threat, was held at the District Court this past Friday.
Mayer was charged after allegedly making a bomb threat last year in May, prompting the evacuation of the seaport and airport. He faces charges of making a false bomb report; harassment; public peace disturbance and obstructing government operations.
According to the government’s case, the defendant was first charged last year in June. It’s alleged that on May 31, 2022 Chief of Port Security contacted 911 and reported a bomb threat from an anonymous caller, targeting the Seaport and Airport, which led to evacuation of areas nearby.
Homeland Security officials informed police the call came from a 256 numbered cell phone belonging to Mayer.
During police questioning, Mayer confirmed making numerous phone calls to the Port Main number earlier on the day in question.
However, he denied making the bomb threat. Statements from Port staff indicated that Mayer spoke to three Port staff before the bomb threat was made.
It's alleged that Port received a call from a 633 number around 9:30 am; three minutes later the same person called again and he appeared angry and complained about bad service rendered by the Seaport and Airport and said— “You guys are gonna get it.”
The conversation lasted for only about fifteen seconds before the caller hung up. An hour later the same caller contacted Port and said “I’m giving you guys a heads up, I planted bombs at the airport and seaport, so you better act quickly.”
Court filings say phone records confirm that Mayer had contacted the Port at the exact same time the bomb threats were made. The numbers in question belong to the defendant. Mayer maintains that he did not make any bomb threats.
The defendant was previously charged in at least three different cases involving stealing.