Ads by Google Ads by Google

Man allegedly shot by fellow inmate fails to visit probation office

Court Report logo

Pago Pago, AMERICAN SAMOA — A Disposition Hearing for Sopi Senio is scheduled for Friday, Mar. 15, after he admitted to violating conditions of his probation, when he failed to visit the Probation Office.

Senio appeared in High Court last Friday for a preliminary examination. He was represented by Assistant Public Defender Rob McNeill, while prosecuting the case was Assistant Attorney General Christy Dunn.

When Senio’s case was called, McNeill said his client is ready to enter an admission to the probation violation. According to the defense attorney, his client failed to visit Probation and make his court appearances because he was sick and unable to walk.

McNeill said his client was injured when he was allegedly shot by another inmate last year, and for that reason, Senio has been unable to walk, meaning he had no choice but to remain a stay-at-home.

Senio is still released on his own recognizance, pending his disposition hearing this Friday.



A man who was intoxicated and caused a disturbance at his family home in Nuuuli was arrested and charged with public peace disturbance.

Taataai Fale made his initial appearance in District Court yesterday morning, where he entered a 'not guilty' plea. He was later released on his own recognizance and his next court appearance is set for April 23.

According to the government's case, Fale's sister contacted police for assistance, saying Fale was drunk and unruly, and he was attempting to throw a rock at her vehicle, which was parked in front of their home.

The defendant's sister told police that Fale's employer had called her, telling her that she was dropping Fale off "because he is a troublemaker."

According to the criminal complaint, Fale's employer allegedly scolded Fale and told him that he has an attitude problem when he is drunk, "and that has been his main problem." Fale allegedly became upset and started yelling back at his boss, "aggressively, as if trying to pick a fight with her."

Fale's sister said that after she contacted police, Fale allegedly went outside and started yelling profanities and screaming Samoan war cries. She said her brother has been arrested "so many times for the same reason" — being drunk and causing a disturbance at her house — "especially when the kids are home." His sister told police she does not want him back at the house, "because he is always causing trouble… disturbance," and using profanity in front of her kids.

Investigators said they could smell alcohol emitting from Fale when he was being booked. They also report that his speech was slurred and his eyes were blood shot red.

Standard conditions of release include Fale being law abiding, making all his court appearances, keeping in close contact with his attorney, and not leaving or attempting to leave the territory without the court's permission. He is also to remain sober at all times.


The next court date for a man who has been released on his own recognizance and ordered to maintain peace at home is April 23.

Talifolau Afu is charged with public peace disturbance for allegedly disturbing the peace in his Nuuuli neighborhood this past Sunday.

According to the government's case, a neighbor contacted police to report that he was asleep when he heard loud noises coming from the Afu residence. He claims Afu was yelling and screaming at his wife, who, along with Afu's sister, were trying to calm him down, "but to no avail".

Police who responded to the call say they could smell a strong odor of alcohol emitting from Afu when they approached him. Investigators say the children were present, and they "were crying and appeared scared."

According to the court documents, Afu came home around 1a.m. and when his wife asked him where he had been, he became angry and started arguing with her. The wife believes Afu was out with another woman, and when she inquired about it, "he got so mad", and that's what sparked the escalated argument.

Despite all the alleged yelling and screaming, cops say they didn't observe any signs of physical abuse on Afu's wife, sister, or the children.

Upon arrival at the Tafuna substation, cops weren't able to obtain a statement from Afu regarding what happened at home, because he kept telling police he didn't remember anything.

According to Immigration, Afu's ID expires April 1.