Ads by Google Ads by Google

Magic Circus security guard arrested, charged with assault and PPD

American Samoa District Court building

Pago Pago, AMERICAN SAMOA — A security guard for the Magic Circus of Samoa was arrested last week on the allegation that he was intoxicated and yelled profanities on the road in Nuuuli.

Uili Tea made his initial appearance in District Court last week. He is charged with third degree assault and public peace disturbance. He is represented by Assistant Public Defender Anna Wells while prosecuting the case is Assistant Attorney General Laura Garvey.

District Court Judge Fiti Sunia established Tea’s bond at $500.

If he is able to post bond, the defendant will be released based on certain conditions - he is not to leave or attempt to leave the territory, and he must surrender all his travel documents to the government.

During his initial appearance, an immigration officer informed the court that Tea entered American Samoa on a 30-day permit, as a member of the Magic Circus of Samoa group, for which he works as a security guard.

Tea is scheduled to appear in court today for a status hearing.

Samoa News understands that the leader of the Magic Circus of Samoa group, has already informed the government’s attorney that they want Tea to be returned to Samoa this week.


Court affidavit states that a woman called police on Oct. 17, 2018 around 10:20 p.m to report that an intoxicated man was yelling profanities at her family. She also told police that her young son sustained injuries to his mouth as a result of the man’s action.

When police arrived at the scene, they observed a crowd of people in front of the victim’s house. On the other side of the road in Nuuuli, another group of people were trying to calm down a male who was yelling out profanities in Samoan. That male was later identified as the defendant.

Eyewitnesses told police that the defendant was heavily intoxicated, walking on the road and yelling profanities. Furthermore, the defendant also tried to pull a piece of timber that was lying on the side of the victim’s house. Somehow, the timber hit the young boy’s chin which caused a cut on his upper lip.

Tea was immediately apprehended by police and transported to the Tafuna Substation for questioning.

Officers detected a strong odor of alcohol emitting from Tea’s breath when he was taken into custody.