Ads by Google Ads by Google

COURT REPORT: Two charged with disturbing the peace in separate incidents

Court Report logo

Pago Pago, AMERICAN SAMOA — A man who was intoxicated and caused a disturbance at his family home in Tafuna was arrested and charged with public peace disturbance.

Taase Tufuga made his initial appearance in District Court last week, where he entered a 'not guilty' plea. He was later released on his own recognizance and his next court appearance is set for July 21st.

According to the government's case, Tufuga’s aunt contacted police for assistance, saying her nephew (Tufuga) was drunk and unruly, and he was attempting to throw a rock at her vehicle, which was parked in front of their home.

The defendant's aunt told police that Tufuga’s friend had called her, telling her that he was dropping Tufuga off "because he is a troublemaker."

According to the criminal complaint, Tufuga's friend allegedly scolded Tufuga and told him that he has an attitude problem when he is drunk, "and that has been his main problem." Tufuga allegedly became upset and started yelling back at his friend during a drinking session after work, "aggressively, as if trying to pick a fight with his friend."

Tufuga’s aunt said that after she contacted police, Tufuga allegedly went outside and started yelling profanities and screaming Samoan war cries. She said her nephew has been arrested "so many times for the same reason" — being drunk and causing a disturbance at her house — "especially when the children are home." His aunt told police she does not want him back at the house, "because he is always causing trouble… disturbance," and using profanity in front of her children.

Investigators said they could smell alcohol coming from Tufuga when he was being booked. They also report that his speech was slurred and his eyes were bloodshot red.

Standard conditions of release include Tufuga remaining sober at all times.


The next court date for a man who has been released on his own recognizance and ordered to maintain peace at home is July 24th.

Ieremia Iopu is charged with public peace disturbance for allegedly disturbing the peace in his Ottoville neighborhood last week.

According to the government's case, a neighbor contacted police to report that she was asleep when she heard loud noises coming from the Iopu’s residence. She claims Iopu was yelling and screaming at his wife, who, along with Iopu’s sister-in-law, were trying to calm him down, "but to no avail."

Police who responded to the call say they could smell a strong odor of alcohol emitting from Iopu when they approached him. Investigators say the children were present, and they "were crying and appeared scared."

According to the court documents, Iopu came home around 11p.m, and when his wife asked him where he had been, he became angry and started arguing with her. The wife believes Iopu was out with another woman, and when she inquired about it, "he got so mad" and that's what sparked the escalated argument.

Despite all the alleged yelling and screaming, cops say they didn't observe any signs of physical abuse of Iopu's wife, sister, or the children.

Upon arrival at the TPS, cops weren't able to obtain a statement from Iopu regarding what happened at home, because he kept telling police he didn't remember anything.

According to Immigration, Iopu’s immigration ID expired two years ago.