Ads by Google Ads by Google

Woman calls cops after daughter’s ex-husband allegedly refuses to get out


Pago Pago, AMERICAN SAMOA — On February 25, 2024, a grandmother called the Tafuna Police Substation (TPS) to report her daughter’s ex-husband, who was drunk, and refused to leave her home.

The suspect was arrested and charged with the following:

Count 1: Trespass (DV) — a class B misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for up to six months, a fine of $500 not less than $150, or both; and,

Count 2: Assault in the Third Degree — a class C misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment for up to fifteen days, a fine of $300, or both.

The defendant’s bail was set at $300.

(Samoa News has withheld the names of those involved in this case to protect the identity of the minor involved.)

According to the affidavit, on February 25, at about 1:58 pm, a grandmother called to report that her daughter’s ex-husband (suspect) was drunk and was refusing to leave her home in Nu’uuli.

When police officers arrived at the scene, the affidavit stated “they saw an individual walking in the rain wearing a purple shirt and black shorts with a minor walking beside him, while weaving to his right and left.” When police officers stopped and asked if he was the person the police were looking for, the suspect answered “yes”. The suspect was advised by officers to get in the vehicle with his son since it was raining.

The affidavit further stated that “as the suspect and his son were getting into the police unit, his own sons told him to bring back their little brother since he [the father] was drunk.”

Moreover, when they got into the police unit the officers smelled a strong odor of alcoholic beverage coming from his breath. Police then asked for the suspect’s name, which he gave.

Police officers then met with the reporter (later identified as the grandmother) who told them that the suspect was the man she had called to report on. One of the officers interviewed the grandmother at the scene while the other officer stayed back with the suspect and the son inside the police unit.

According to the grandmother, the suspect came by her house to pick up his son. She stated that “she smelled a strong odor of alcohol coming from his breath and he was weaving to his left and right with bloodshot eyes.”

She then demanded about five times that the suspect leave her home and leave his 8-year-old son with her since he was drunk and had no place to stay. However, the suspect refused to leave the house and demanded that she give him his son. She told him no and to come back when he is sober because she worried about the safety of her grandson.

The grandmother also stated that the suspect is no longer with her daughter and is waiting for their divorce papers. She explained that the mother of the minor is currently in Western Samoa but left the kids in her care. Furthermore, she told the officers that the suspect was just released from jail last month and is on probation.

After officers interviewed the grandmother, the other officers were ordered to remove the minor from the police unit and apprehend the suspect.

While officers were apprehending the suspect at the scene, placing handcuffs on him, the suspect spontaneously uttered that his kids were being abused by the grandmother.

When the officers placed the suspect inside the vehicle, the minor cried out for his father and wanted to be with him.

Police officers then informed the grandmother that they will be taking her and her grandson to the TPS since the grandson did not want to be with her.

All parties were transported to the TPS to be processed.

Upon arrival at the station, police contacted the Child Protective Services (CPS) and informed them about the case involving the minor.

At about 2:38 pm, the police officers interviewed the grandmother at the station. According to the grandmother, the suspect, was released from prison last month and she was the one who brought him into her home since he had nowhere to go.

She also explained that she gave him Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday of last week to go find a place to stay because it was not right for him to live with her.

Moreover, she stated that her daughter, who had left last month on a trip to Western Samoa, had left the children in her custody.

The grandmother also informed the officers that her daughter had the grandson’s identification documents and she doesn’t know if the father’s name is on the birth certificate. She also explained that she does discipline her grandkids if needed but not to the point of being abusive.

At about 2:56 pm, the suspect was Mirandized where he waived his rights and agreed to answer questions and to make a statement.

According to the affidavit, the suspect admitted that he refused to leave the ex mother-in-law's home after she told him several times to leave. He also admitted to being homeless and was staying at a friend’s home in Mapusaga. Moreover, he admitted to being drunk and was aware that his son was not safe with him but took him anyway because he loves his son.

The affidavit also stated that the suspect reeked of alcohol, his speech was slurred, and he also displayed bloodshot eyes.

The suspect was booked at the TPS and later transported to the Tafuna Correctional Facility (TCF) to be confined.

Upon arrival at the TCF, officers removed the suspect’s handcuff and the suspect threatened one of the officers by getting into a fighting position and challenged the officer to a fist fight.

The TCF officers escorted the suspect out of the office and the suspect threatened the police officer again by saying that when he gets out he is going to beat the life out of him.

At about 3:40 pm, CPS were done with their assessment and placed the minor in their custody since the mother was in Samoa and the minor did not want to be with his grandmother.

The suspect is identified as a 49-year-old citizen of Samoa.