Ads by Google Ads by Google

Vehicle sale that went sour results in criminal charges for two men

American Samoa District Court building

Pago Pago, AMERICAN SAMOA — An alleged misunderstanding over the sale of a vehicle between first cousins has landed two men in court, both charged with public peace disturbance.

Faasalafa Tuivaiti of Iliili and Faafetai Malagamalii of Malaeloa made their initial appearances in District Court this past Monday, April 18th.

Judge Pro Tem Gwen Tauiliili-Langkilde released both men on their own recognizance, with standard conditions. They are also ordered not to make any direct or indirect contact with each other and maintain the peace not only in their homes, but also in the village.

Pretrial conference for both men is May 9th.

According to the government's case, the two men disturbed the peace at the DPS Leone substation last Friday, April 5th, and the argument was over the sale of a vehicle.

Police had informed Malagalii and his wife that Tuivaiti had gone to the DPS Tafuna substation earlier that day, requesting police assistance regarding his vehicle, which he said he sold to the couple.

Tuivaiti was then told to go to the Leone substation where Malagalii was being interviewed.

According to the criminal complaint, when Tuivaiti arrived, he "got really loud" and demanded the cops to "do what I told you guys to do." Police officers intervened and advised Tuivaiti to calm down and take a seat. But Tuivaiti continued to tell officers to "do your job."

Police noted that during the interview, both men "got really loud" and were "yelling" profanities at each other. Officers and Malagalii's wife were able to separate the two men from making any physical contact.

Malagamalii told officers that he and Tuivaiti are first cousins (their mothers are sisters) and Tuivaiti is acting this way "because he's doing ICE (meth)".

Tuivaiti walked out of the substation and continued to yell profanities. He then got into his car, and drove "recklessly", heading towards Leone HS. Cops told him to stop but he refused and continued driving off. Police followed him and were able to pull him over. Tuivaiti was escorted back to the Leone substation.

The two men were later booked and taken into custody.