Ads by Google Ads by Google

Man on probation for domestic violence is back in court

American Samoa District Court building

Pago Pago, AMERICAN SAMOA — A man convicted by the court last year for 3rd degree assault and endangering the welfare of a child, during a domestic violence incident is now back in court after police arrested him two weeks ago on the same allegation — he assaulted his wife again.

To protect the identity of the victim, Samoa News is withholding the names of all parties involved.

The defendant, a 41-year-old man, who is an electrician, appeared in District Court two weeks ago. He is charged with third-degree assault, private peace disturbance (PPD) and contempt of court.

Bond is set at $2,000 and if the defendant is able to post bond, he is to comply with all conditions the court set when he was sentenced last year for a prior case, including the condition that he make no direct or indirect contact with his wife and children.

The court made it clear to the defendant that no direct contact means he’s not allowed to go to his wife’s house or place of work, nor is he to contact her on her cell phone or on social media.

According to the government’s case, the wife contacted police for assistance after she and her two daughters arrived home and found the defendant sitting outside of their house in Ottoville, intoxicated.

The wife exited the vehicle while her children stayed inside the vehicle, walked towards the defendant and informed him to leave before she called police. Defendant’s first reaction was to apologize to his wife and begged for another chance, but the wife explained to him that he’s not supposed to be there unless by order of the court.

It was at that time that the defendant got mad and told his wife that they are his family and he wanted to come back home. After a short confrontation between the defendant and the wife, the government alleges that the defendant assaulted his wife again by pulling her hair and slapping her in the face twice in front of his two young daughters, who were still inside the vehicle.

Defendant then fled the scene before police arrived. Four hours later around 11:12p.m, police apprehended the defendant from his new girlfriend’s house and transported him to the TPS for questioning.

When asked about the alleged incident, the defendant apologized to police for his action, and admitted that he went to his wife’s home to get his clothes and his  tools he needed for his construction work and also give her money to buy food for his children. However, his wife kicked him out of the house.

The defendant further denied the allegation that he assaulted his wife in front of his children. According to the defendant’s statement to police, it was his wife who slapped him in the face multiple times while he was just standing in front of her doing nothing.

He told officers that he was mad but did not physically touch his wife because he’s not suppose to have any direct or indirect contact with her.


Defendant was sentenced to 24 months probation after the court convicted him of third-degree assault and endangering the welfare of a child in June of last year. Conditions of his probation included he remain law abiding, stay away from his wife and children and not to consume alcohol or possess or consume illegal drugs.