Ads by Google Ads by Google

Man charged with alleged assault of 8yr old back in court again

American Samoa District Court building
This time, govt alleges he threatened to kill a woman

Pago Pago, AMERICAN SAMOA — A man charged with public peace disturbance and third degree assault for an alleged incident that was reported to police on Flag Day has been remanded to custody with bail set at $500.

Ulisese Vaofusi made his initial appearance in District Court last Thursday where he entered 'not guilty' pleas to both charges against him.


Vaofusi was released on his own recognizance earlier this year in February. For that case, he is charged with public peace disturbance, third degree assault, and endangering the welfare of a child for allegedly choking and slamming an 8-year-old boy in a Vailoa store.

He was released on his own recognizance, subject to standard conditions, that included being a law abiding citizen at all times.

But he was picked up last Wednesday and therefore, Judge Elvis P. Patea revoked Vaofusi's O.R. status and has remanded him to custody at TCF, with bail set at $500.

The same amount (aggregate) is the set bail for the new case.

Pretrial conference for both matters is set for May 21.


Police got a call for assistance from a woman on April 17th, claiming that Vaofusi, while riding his bicycle, "ran over her groceries" before yanking them up and throwing them "in front of the malae" in Vailoa.

Investigators say when they arrived at the scene, the victim was "crying and scared, very shaken up."

According to what the victim told police, after Vaifusi threw her groceries, she looked at him asked him why he was being disrespectful. In response, Vaofusi allegedly grabbed a piece of wood and "tried to hit" (threaten) the victim, telling her never to talk to him "before I kill you."

Vaofusi allegedly told the woman that if she dares to "try me next time," he will "kill" her.

The defendant then walked away, threw the wood on the ground, and walked into the store.

The victim told police she is scared to go home, because the defendant lives across from her and she "doesn't feel safe going home."

Police were able to calm the victim and transport her to her house. Thereafter, they approached Vaofusi's home and apprehended him. The criminal complaint notes that en route to the Tafuna Substation, Vaofusi "in a very angry tone" asked why the "old lady didn't show her face. She wait until I come out." See what I'm going to do with her, he continued.