Am Samoa under CODE RED — COVID case detected by health officials; shutdown ordered
Pago Pago, AMERICAN SAMOA — Gov. Lemanu Peleti Mauga has declared that American Samoa is now under “Code Red” threat level for at least a week, following reports from health officials of community transmission of COVID-19 virus in the territory.
The governor made the emergency announcement in a KVZK-TV live stream before 9p.m Monday, Feb. 21.
Lemanu said American Samoa is under Code Red effective 12mid night Feb 21 and this affects government and private sector, with additional details to be released soon by the government, which is reviewing during the lock down where the community transmission stands before making further decisions.
The governor’s current COVID-19 declaration states in part that when Code Red is declared:
All businesses will be allowed to operate from 5a.m. to 4p.m.
All employers, public and private, will designate essential employees who directly perform or support essential services such as those related to public safety; health; utilities; food production, distribution and sales; sanitation and laundry; port operations; and similar essential services.
And only those employees who are absolutely essential should work at their places of employment.
Furthermore, all ASG operations are suspended except for first responders and essential employees. And all air and sea travel is suspended and all public facilities are closed for one week. All public gatherings are also suspended.
The following are measures under Code Red of the Emergency Declaration for COVID 19:
- The Code Yellow restrictions remain in effect except as modified below:
- All businesses will only be allowed to operate from 5 am to 4 pm.
- All employers, public and private, will designate essential employees who directly perform or support essential services such as those related to public safety; health; utilities; food production, distribution, and sales; sanitation and laundry; port operations; and similarly, essential services. Only those employees who are absolutely essential should work at places of employment.
- All ASG operations will be suspended except for first responders and essential employees.
- All air and sea travel will be suspended.
- Ports of entry will be closed except for military and approved air or sea cargo vessels.
- All public gatherings will be prohibited.
- Additional requirements and restrictions will be issued as necessary for the protection of public health.
Code Red refers to some Code Yellow restructions with the following measures under Code Yellow remaining in effect:
- All persons, businesses, organizations, or agencies are required to mandate mask use inside of any building that is open to the public. All persons must wear a mask that covers their mouth and nose in the following circumstances:
- (i) In or at a location where mask use is required by the person or agency who controls that location;
- (ii) At a public gathering or inside a building that is open to the public;
- (iii) Every person who occupies a bus, taxi, or other vehicle engaged in commercial transportation must wear a mask;
- (iv) Subparagraphs (i) – (iii) do not apply to:
(a) children under 2 years of age;
- (b) a person who cannot wear a mask or cannot safely wear a mask, because of a disability as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (42 U.S.C. 1201 et seq.);
(c) aperson for whom wearing a mask would create a risk to workplace health, safety, or job duty as determined by the relevant workplace safety guidelines or regulations; and
(d) aperson who is the sole occupant of a vehicle or office.
- Families are encouraged to self-quarantine and designate one family member to go to the store.
- All employers, public and private, will reduce their staffing at places of employment to the extent possible. Remote work is encouraged.
- All businesses will only be allowed to operate from 5 am to 6 pm.
- All restaurants will be allowed to provide take-out only. Dine-in service is prohibited.
- Unnecessary travel to affected areas will be limited.
- The Code Blue provisions in Paragraphs (B) through (G), relating to entry and exit from the Territory, remain in effect.
- The Hope House, LBJ TMC, and the Tafuna Correctional Facility will be closed for visitation.
- A Territorial Curfew of 9 pm will be imposed.
- Public gatherings of more than ten people are prohibited.
- All public gatherings from 9 pm and 5 am are prohibited.
Additional requirements and restrictions will be issued as necessary for the protection of public health.
Click on attachment to download the full text of the latest declaration issued Feb. 4, which contains full regulations for each code.