KRUSE DENIES ASG MOTION TO MOVE SEX CASE TO FAMILY COURT
Chief Justice Michael Kruse denied a motion by the government to move a case they filed against a 17-year-old juvenile, charged as an adult, to Family Court.
Liki Tao is charged on allegations that he and two other juveniles performed sexual acts on a 14-year-old inside the Juvenile Detention Center.
He faces charges of sodomy, deviate sexual assault, sexual abuse first degree and third degree assault. Tao has a separate case pending in Family court, where he’s been charged with two counts of sodomy and two counts of sexual abuse first degree.
Kruse noted there should be legitimate reasons to have this case moved over to the Family, Drug and Alcohol court, including reasons involving alcohol. After the motion was denied, Kruse rescheduled this matter for March 27, 2014. At the same time, the Chief Justice scheduled a jury trial date for the defendant on March 25, 2015.
It was also revealed before the court there is a possible plea agreement in this matter. According to the government’s case, Tao along with “A.T” and “S.S” are accused of having sex with another male juvenile.
According to the government’s case, the matter came to light when the victim informed the Juvenile Detention Center staff that he had been sexually assaulted.
TONE AMOSA CHARGED IN BURGLARY CASE
District Court Judge John Ward set a $10,000 bail for Tone Amosa on allegations he burglarized a store in Ili’ili last month. Amosa made his initial appearance in District Court last week, and is represented by the the Public Defender’s office while prosecuting is Assistant Attorney General Tony Graf.
Court filings say last month it was reported to police that a store in Ili’ili owned by an Asian couple was broken into. It’s alleged the defendant gained entrance through breaking a door into the store, which had been pried open.
According to the government’s case, still photos of the defendant were obtained from the store’s video surveillance camera, where he entered from the back of the store. During police interrogation the defendant allegedly told police that his uncle and cousin had told him to break into the store to get a case of beer for their drinking session later in the evening. Court filings say the defendant had previously worked for the store which he burglarized.
RONALD FINAU ENTERS GUILTY PLEA IN BURGLARY CASE
Ronald Finau, charged in connection with a burglary case, has entered into a plea agreement with the government. Finau was charged with second degree burglary and stealing. In the plea deal offered by the government, which was read in open court, the defendant pled guilty to second degree burglary and in return for his guilty plea the government moved to dismiss the remaining charge of stealing.
During the plea agreement hearing this week the defendant admitted that he had unlawfully entered a family home on Feb. 13, 2013 and stole items from the house.
Chief Justice Michael Kruse did not rule on the plea agreement, asking for additional information on the matter. The defendant, who remains behind bars, will again come before the court on Thursday this week.
THE NEW COMMENTS PROCESS
To make comments, you will need to register. You can register under your real name or use a 'screen' name. This way, people will be able to follow comments and make comments back and forth to each other. If you choose to use a 'screen name' no one will know your true identity. In either case, no email addresses will be available to anyone. It is an automated process. If you have questions, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
You currently are not logged in, please LOGIN to post comments.