Ads by Google Ads by Google

Young Samoan dies in Hawai’i after being shot on Christmas night

A former Moanalua High School receiver has died after being shot in the head at the Ala Moana Center parking lot on Christmas night.

An unresponsive Stevie Feliciano, 20, died Wednesday at Queen’s Medical Center after being on life support following the shooting incident that occurred on the fifth floor of the new Ewa Wing parking structure.

Dae Han Moon, 20, has been arrested and charged in connection with the shooting. His bail has been set at $2 million. Moon turned himself in after a Honolulu grand jury indicted him last Thursday for second-degree murder. He has also been arrested for three weapons counts, one auto theft count and one count on use of a firearm.

Court records indicate that Moon was out on bail for felony firearms and auto theft charges, and he also had a warrant out for drugged driving at the time of the shooting.

As of yesterday, Honolulu police were still searching for yet another suspect, 25-year old Lance Bermudez. He is wanted on a $500,000 arrest warrant for hindering prosecution in the first degree.

According to news reports from the Aloha State, police and prosecutors believe that Feliciano and some friends “went to the parking structure at Ala Moana Center at about 7:30 p.m. Sunday to get some marijuana from another person.”

The Honolulu Star Advertiser reports, “Before they could pick up marijuana, Moon and his friends showed up in a vehicle. Deputy Prosecutor Chasid Sapolu said one of Moon’s friends started a fight with Feliciano and that others joined in. After the fight, Moon returned to his car and grabbed a firearm. He pointed it ‘and struck the victim once on the head with the firearm and pointed it and fired a shot into the back of the victim’s head,’ Sapolu told the court Thursday.”

Stevie’s mother Fiti told Hawaii News Now that she didn't want to believe it. “It's the worst dream that a parent can have. It's like somebody just stabbed me in my heart.” She described her son as a ‘sweet boy’, a ‘loving and passionate’ person with lots of friends.

After doctors told Fiti that her son was brain dead, she didn’t want to believe it, saying she was praying for a sign, hoping for a Christmas miracle.

But that was not to be. Stevie passed away last week and the outpouring of love and support from people all over the world has been tremendous. Social media is flooded with messages of condolences and heartwarming tributes for the Leaupepe and Feliciano families.

Meanwhile, Stevie’s sister Diana has set up a “Go Fund Me” page online, where people can donate monies to help with funeral expenses. “Please help us give my brother a funeral he deserves. We have less than two weeks ‘til Stevie's funeral,” Diana wrote.

One of the many touching posts on Facebook reads: “I can't believe you are gone. But your memories live on in us. You were so loved. Heaven has gained a beautiful soul as an angel. I love you Stevie Feliciano. Things will not be the same again. Aunty Fiti, the Lord will provide solace for you to help heal your broken heart. I can't relate to the pain you are going through. He was your pele and you couldn't hide it even if you tried. No mother deserves to bury their kids. I know Stevie is next to you spiritually, comforting you at this moment. Your son was a strong man, he fought so hard to come back to you. Loto malosi. We will one day see him again. RIP BABY! Watch over your mom and your siblings.”

Final funeral arrangements are yet to be announced.