MAN CHARGED FOR ALLEGED ASSAULT OF HIS WIFE
A 29-year-old man who allegedly assaulted his wife after she discovered four other individuals inside their bedroom has been charged with third degree assault and public peace disturbance — both misdemeanors.
(Samoa News is withholding the name of the defendant, to protect the identity of the victim).
During his initial appearance this week, District Court Judge Fiti Sunia released the defendant on his own recognizance, under several conditions that include him not having any contact with his wife and their 11-month-old child at time. He is also not to threaten them in public at any time.
According to court documents, police became involved after the woman contacted them about a domestic dispute between her and the defendant.
Three cops responded to the call and they met the victim at her neighbor’s house.
The victim told police that she and her baby were spending the night at their friend's house but she decided to go home and check on her husband.
That's when she found 4 people — 2 women and 2 men — in their (her and her husband’s) bedroom.
The woman said she told the uninvited guests to remove themselves from the room because she felt they were disrespecting her privacy.
However, her husband told her that she was the one who needed to leave.
According to the court affidavit, that's when the defendant allegedly assaulted his wife, grabbing her and pulling her out of their bedroom. The woman said she walked upstairs to the defendant’s parents’ bedroom, but the defendant followed her and yanked her arm to stop her.
When the victim came down the stairs, her husband grabbed her and wrapped his arms around her upper body tightly.
The woman then decided to go back to her friend's house but her husband again grabbed her aggressively and made her sit down.
The victim told the defendant that she needed to return to the neighbor's house because their son was there, but her husband insisted that they go together to get the baby.
When questioned by police, the defendant corroborated his wife's story but added that he wasn't violent or aggressive towards her.
He said he was angry and upset from the moment he was booked to when he was confined at TCF to await his court appearance.
The defendant's pretrial conference is set for Dec. 28 at 8:30a.m.
A 24-year-old man from Aua who is accused of using a rock to assault another man has been arrested and charged with second degree assault — a felony — and three misdemeanor charges: public peace disturbance, unlawful use of a weapon, and third degree property damage.
Viliamu Evans made his initial appearance in the District Court this week, where he waived his right to a preliminary examination hearing. His next court appearance is today at 9:00 a.m. in the High Court, where is expected to enter a not guilty plea.
The charges against Evans stem from an incident that occurred last week in Aua, during which he allegedly used a rock to assault and severely injure another man, whom he told police was his friend.
According to the government, Evans and the victim had gotten into a disagreement and the victim allegedly attempted to assault Evans but in the end, it was Evans who assaulted the victim with a rock.
Evans' attorney, Assistant Public Defender, Ryan Anderson, asked the court for a reduction in bail - from $5,000 to $1,000. Anderson told the court his client is a hardworking man and he's the only member of his family who works to provide for his wife and three children. Anderson said his client is not a flight risk, and he has no intention of leaving his family.
Prosecutor Jillian Sadler opposed the defense motion, saying bail set by the court is the appropriate amount for the offense the defendant is accused of committing.
The defense motion was denied and bail remains at $5,000; and because he is unable to post bond, Evans remains in custody at the TCF.