Ads by Google Ads by Google

Bowling Alley brouhaha lands man in court


Pago Pago, AMERICAN SAMOA — A 22-year-old male accused of disturbing the peace at the Bowling Alley parking lot Sunday afternoon made his initial in District Court yesterday morning, where he entered a not guilty plea to the single charge of public peace disturbance.

Isaiah Rea is being represented by Assistant Public Defender Ryan Anderson while Assistant Attorney General Bianca Lherisson is prosecuting the case.

Anderson asked the court to release his client on his own recognizance, saying this is his first offense and the allegation against him is not serious. The prosecutor did not oppose the defense’s motion.

Judge Pro Temp, Gwen Tauiliili-Langkilde granted the defense’s motion and released the defendant under certain conditions that include being alcohol and drug free.

He is to submit himself to random drug and alcohol resting, and he is not to leave or attempt to leave the territory while his case is pending. Rea is also ordered to appear in court whenever his case is called.

“You are not allowed to go back to the Bowling Alley compound at anytime. If you fail to comply with any of these conditions, you will be brought back to court and the court will send you to the Territorial Correctional Facility (TCF) and you will stay there until your case is resolved,” Tauiliili-Langkilde told the defendant.

The government claims that on June 10 around 2:40 p.m., police officers apprehended an unknown individual later identified as the defendant, for disturbing the peace in the Bowling Alley parking lot.

Police officers working on the west side said they were at the Bowling Alley parking lot when they heard someone shouting profane words — both in Samoan and English — near the Bowling Alley entrance where a crowd was gathered.

Officers approached the crowd and observed the defendant yelling profanities and challenging people in the parking lot to a fist fight.

Police officers were able to intervene and apprehend the defendant who was then transported to the Tafuna Substation where he was booked and taken to the TCF to await his first appearance in District Court.

During the booking process, police could smell a strong odor of alcohol coming from the defendant’s breath and his eyes were blood shot red.

The court affidavit said Rea was heavily intoxicated.