Fugalei Market stall owners told to leave
Yesterday was a sad day at the Fugalei Market. It was when many businessmen and women - who have operated stalls there for years – were told to leave.
Although they were originally given until 30 June 2012 to vacate, they told the Samoa Observer that Government officials told them on Monday that “we have to leave.” Sala Samu, of Malie, said the “order” was heartbreaking. “I don't know where to go,” she said.
“This stall puts food on the table for my family. What am I going to do now? I have nowhere to go.” Angry with the Government ignoring their call for help – which was voiced through a protest march to Parliament, last week – Sala said she would not move. “I’m not going to start packing unless the bulldozers come and pull this place down.
That’s how desperate we are.” Auimatagi Felise, also from Malie, said their families would suffer.