Ads by Google Ads by Google

Court Report


As of late afternoon yesterday, the Department of Public Safety has reported that it has been a peaceful Flag Day. Warden Lumana’i Maifea who oversees the Tafuna Correctional Facility under the umbrella of DPS, said no one has been arrested for public peace disturbance or driving under the influence from Tuesday up to late afternoon yesterday.

Ta’aloloioufaiva Lt. John Cendrowski said the detainees who spent Flag Day in jail are those who were arrested last weekend, who made initial appearances in the District Court on Monday, and were taken back to the jail because they were unable to post bail for peace disturbance charges. Some, however, were held without bail due to their immigration status.

Ta’aloloioufaiva, who heads the traffic division with DPS, said there have been no accidents reported to police on the main highway. The public seems to be obeying the law and not driving while intoxicated, he said, adding that may change overnight since all the parties will happen at night — but so far nothing major has happened.


However it is a different story with the Emergency Medical Services, which have been busy since Flag Day celebrations started Tuesday morning.

As of Wednesday afternoon, close to 40 people who were attending Flag Day celebrations at the Veterans Memorial Stadium were taken to the EMS tent for treatment, while several were taken to LBJ hospital for further treatment.

An EMS official told Samoa News that many people were treated for dehydration and some were treated for heat related incidents.

Tuesday, he said, was when most people had problems. Some fainted, and some experienced nausea due to standing for a long period of time in the sun while waiting to perform at the stadium. He added that several people were taken to the EMS tent before they performed.

The EMS official said that Wednesday was better, as only two had been treated and taken to the hospital from Veterans Stadium by press time on Wednesday. The pair were part of a dancing group that participated in the program.


Sex offender Daniel Chang was to depart the territory last night, and has yet to register as a sex offender, as mandated by the court.

This was confirmed by Warden Lumana’i Maifea who oversees the Tafuna Correctional Facility under the umbrella of the Department of Public Safety.

Chief Justice Michael Kruse sentenced Chang to two years probation with the condition that he registers in the territory as a sex offender.

Chang pleaded guilty to sexual abuse in the second degree in connection with an incident where the defendant touched two young girls inappropriately.

Warden Maifea told Samoa News that the defendant must present himself at the TCF to register as a sex offender.

“We can’t register his name for him, he has to be physically present, because we have to take his photo and get his fingerprints to complete the registration”, said the Warden.

Samoa News also asked the Warden on the status of having a Sex Offender Website, which would enable citizens to search for information about those who are registered as sex offenders in the territory. The Warden said they are still working on it.

During Chang’s sentencing earlier this month, the Chief Justice agreed with the defendant’s lawyer, Sharron Rancourt’s proposal to the court that Chang would like to voluntarily depart the territory on April 19, 20102 and remain outside the territory for the period of his probation term.

The Chief Justice noted the defendant, who is 82 years of age, cannot be taken care of properly at the Tafuna Correctional Facility, and granted the defendant’s proposal to depart the territory and remain outside for his probation term.

Another condition of the defendant’s probation is that the elderly man may not be left unsupervised while he remains in the territory.

Chang was initially facing five felony charges of first degree sexual abuse and endangering the welfare of a child, a misdemeanor.

However in the deal with the government he pleaded guilty to second degree sexual abuse which was amended from first degree sexual abuse and endangering the welfare of a child, a misdemeanor, while the government moved to dismiss the remaining charges.