Ads by Google Ads by Google

Court Report


A man is being held on bail of $30,000 on allegations that he cashed several checks belonging to Friendly Car Rental for close to $1,000. Malcolm Dalle, who is facing two counts of stealing, two counts of forgery and resisting arrest made his initial appearance in  District Court yesterday morning.

Acting Chief Assistant Attorney General Kimberly Hyde who’s prosecuting this matter said the government will be filing additional charges in this case, given that while the defendant was arrested over the weekend, police uncovered that another check had been cashed by the defendant.

According to the government’s case, Leland Slater owner of the rental car business called the Tafuna Substation to report that a box of checks belonging to Friendly Car Rental had been stolen from his office and that one of the checks had been cashed. 

The government claims that Slater told police on September 26, 2012 around 11 a.m. the defendant came into the Friendly Car Rental Company to make a reservation. At some point, defendant apparently grabbed one of two boxes of duplicate blank checks that were on the desk in the shred pile.

Around 12:30 p.m. of the day in question, Slater received a phone call from Jenny Kruse at Pelene’s Store in Pavaia’i saying that she just cashed a check made out to Dalle in the amount of $200 on a Friendly Car Rental check. 

Kruse knows an employee of Friendly Car Rental by the name of Lua Langkilde who frequently cashes her paychecks at Pelene’s Store.

However, Kruse became suspicious about the check made out to Dalle and called Friendly Car Rental to alert them.  

Police advised Slater to call his bank to put a stop on the stolen checks and when he called the bank to do so, it was verified that the check cashed at  Pelene store was in the amount of $200.

Slater was also informed by the Bank of Hawaii that a second check had been cashed in the amount of $700 and it was made out to the defendant and cashed at the ANZ Bank.

Slater told police the defendant left the rental place in a black taxi.

According to the government’s case, an employee at Friendly Car Rental located the taxi and he followed the taxi until it stopped in Ottoville. The employee approached the driver and confirmed that the passenger was the defendant and asked the driver to take his passenger to Friendly Car Rental because they were looking for him.

The taxi driver then just turned around and drove away say court filings. The employee observed the taxi turning down a dirt road and again approached the taxi and told the defendant that he should come with him before matters get worse.

It’s alleged the taxi driver then turned and told the defendant he should run, and, the defendant got out of the taxi and ran. The defendant is being represented by the Public Defender's office.


Police officers Fiti Aina and Rocky Tua who are facing charges of aiding the escape of a prisoner, permitting escape, and public servant acceding to corruption are exercising their rights to hold their preliminary examinations hearing next week Thursday.

Each count against the officers is a class D felony which is punishable by up to five years in jail,  a fine of up to $5,000 or both. On Monday when the pair made their initial appearance in District Court, Officer Aina attained Fiti Sunia as his lawyer and his bail has since been dropped from $15,000 to $10,000, as well as Tua, who has retained Lupe Leupolu.

Deputy Attorney General Mitzie Jessop said the government intends to call the investigating officer, Detective Poutoa I’amanu to testify at this probable cause hearing.

According to the government’s case, on July 20, 2012 the Criminal Investigation Division (CID) conducted a surprise shakedown at the jail, where an alcoholic beverage was observed in one of the cells. It’s alleged that an investigation revealed that police officers were sending inmates, unsupervised, to a nearby store to purchase beer.


A young man convicted of attempted burglary who was given a second chance from the High Court, when he was sentenced back in June 2012 by Chief Justice Michael Kruse was re-arrested over the weekend and made his initial appearance in the District Court on Monday.

When Pio Fagaautau was sentenced for his felony conviction Kruse ordered him to remain a law abiding citizen, abstain from consuming alcohol or controlled substance, refrain from entering into taverns and bars and not congregate with those who are consuming alcohol.

According to the government’s case the defendant was arrested at the Bowling Alley over the weekend for a public peace disturbance charge.

It’s unclear at this time if the government is looking at filing additional charges but investigation is continuing in this matter said Assistant Attorney General Camille Philippe. The defendant is represented by Assistant Public Defender Karen Shelley.