Ads by Google Ads by Google

Argument between brothers ends in alleged assault with hammer

A man accused of striking his brother on the head with a hammer last Thursday has been charged with second degree assault and public peace disturbance. The second degree assault is a class D felony punishable by up to five years in jail, a fine of up to $5,000 or both.


Dicklan Te’o appeared in District Court yesterday on the new charges filed against him by the government.


Te’o of Pago Pago is represented by Assistant Public Defender Karen Shelley while prosecuting for the government is Assistant Attorney General Camille Philippe.


The government claims that police received a call from the defendant’s wife who reported to police that her husband and his brother were arguing.


Court filings say, at the scene, police spoke to the victim’s daughter, who said it was the defendant who struck her father with a hammer.


Police then spoke to the victim, the defendant’s older brother, who confirmed to police that it was his brother, Dicklan, who allegedly struck him on the head. According to the government’s case, police spoke to the defendant who admitted to the deed.


“Defendant explained that the argument stemmed from an earlier argument regarding the immigration status of the victim’s wife who is sponsored by the defendant.”


Defendant also admitted to police that he was consuming alcohol on the evening in question.


The victim was transported to the hospital for treatment where the doctor's report indicated that X-Rays were conducted for the victim and that the victim sustained a fractured occipital bone as a result of the incident.


According to wikipedia, a fractured occipital bone is a basilar skull fracture. This type of fracture is rare, occurring as the only fracture in just 4% of severe head injury patients. Such fractures can cause tears in the membranes surrounding the brain, or meninges, with resultant leakage of the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF).


Te’o is scheduled to for a preliminary examination in the District Court later this week, where Judge John Ward will determine if the government has sufficient evidence to bound this matter over to High Court.