Man held on bail, charged with rape of 16-year old
A local businessman is being held on bail of $50,000 on allegations he raped his wife’s 16-year old niece on several occasions. The defendant’s name will not be published to protect the identity of the victim.
He is charged with rape, a class B felony punishable by imprisonment for five to fifteen years, sodomy with a child, a class B felony punishable by imprisonment for five to fifteen years, sexual abuse first degree a class D felony punishable by imprisonment for up to five years, a fine of $5,000.00, or both, and endangering the welfare of a child, a class A misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment for up to one year, a fine of $1,000.00, or both.
The defendant made his initial appearance in the District Court yesterday morning before District Court Judge John Ward.
According to the government’s case the victim told police that sometime in June or July 2012, she moved in with her aunt and the aunt’s husband, who is the defendant.
It’s alleged a week after she moved in the defendant came into her room and lay beside her on the bed and kissed her. The government claims that one week later another incident occurred where the defendant again went into the girl’s room. It’s alleged the victim refused, but the defendant opened her sarong, performed sexual acts on her and then forced the victim to take her panties off, then the defendant had sexual intercourse with her.
The victim told police that one morning around that same time period, they went to the store and the defendant gave her the keys for the office. The victim went into the office and when she was about to turn the lights on, the defendant pushed her inside the office and closed the door.
It’s alleged the defendant had her lay on the floor and had sex with her.
According to the government’s case the last incident is alleged to have occurred last week August 29, 2012, at the store. In this incident, the defendant asked the victim to perform oral sex on him before she went to school and she did.
The victim told police she could not stop the defendant from forcing himself on her because of his weight.
Court filings say the victim claims the defendant threatened to kill her if she was to tell her aunty about the incident.
It’s alleged the sexual incidents occurred three to four times a week, the victim told police.
The businessman is scheduled to appear in court again today to determine if he’ll proceed with a preliminary examination hearing.
This hearing is for the judge to determine whether the government has sufficient evidence to have this matter bound over to the High Court.
Sharron Rancourt represents the defendant while prosecuting is Assistant Attorney General Camille Philippe.