Court Report



Rando Ripine was sentenced to 90 days in jail after fleeing the territory in 2008 following his conviction for driving with an expired driver's license and under the influence (DUI).

Two months ago police again arrested Ripine when they found him operating an aiga bus in the market area.

Acting Chief Justice John Ward sentenced Ripine to three years probation. Ward told Ripine that it’s mandatory by law that he serve 90 days in jail, and given that 65 days had already been served, he has 25 more days to spend in jail.

Ward ordered Ripine, who returned to the territory on a 30 day permit, to depart the territory immediately after serving his mandatory jail term.


The Attorney General’s office has charged Fa’afetai Kasiano with attempted burglary first degree, property damage second degree and public peace disturbance in connection with an alleged attempted burglary case in Koko Land earlier this week.

According to the government’s case, police received a call about the defendant who was allegedly pulling and pushing the main door to a store.

Witnesses told police Kasiano looked through the window and was pulling and pushing the door, when it's alleged Kasiano struck and shattered a glass door with a baseball bat. The witnesses yelled out to the defendant that they were contacting police and the defendant then fled the area.

According to the government the cost of the door is $128.00.

Kasiano is held on bail of $10,000 and he’s scheduled to be arraigned in the high court Monday morning, after he waived his rights to a preliminary examination in the District Court.


Nimarote Fina’i who is charged with first degree assault and public peace disturbance, on allegations that he stabbed another man with a knife, denied the charges against him when he was arraigned in the High Court yesterday morning.

First degree assault is a class A felony punishable from 10 to 30 years in jail or life imprisonment.

The defendant waived his rights to a preliminary examination on Thursday with the District Court.

According to the government’s case, police received a call that Fina’i had stabbed another man, and when police responded to the call, they were told Fina'i had fled the scene.

Court filings state police found the defendant at his residence, where he told police this was the result of an incident that occurred a month ago.

Fina’i admitted to police that he stabbed the man once, because the victim and his cousin had beaten him up at their house.

A condition of the defendant’s bail is that he must not contact, directly or indirectly, the victim or his family in this matter. Assistant Public Defender Karen Shelley represents Fina’i while prosecuting is Assistant Attorney General Cable Poag.


The government has yet to file felony charges against Mika A’asa, who is accused of striking another man in the head with a rock.

Assistant Attorney General Kimberly Hyde told the court the government is still waiting for a police report to determine the proper charges the government intends to file.

A’asa was arrested and charged with public peace disturbance, on allegations that he threw a rock at someone’s head, causing injury.

According to the government’s case, the victim is alleged to have assaulted A’asa’s younger brother and this prompted the fight.

In the meantime, the defendant’s family has also filed a complaint with the police about the victim who allegedly assaulted the defendant’s little brother.

The victim was taken to the hospital last Saturday following the fight and underwent an emergency operation. He was later transferred to the Surgical Ward for observation.

The defendant’s bail is set at $20,000 with the condition that if he makes bail, he’s not to contact directly or indirectly the victim in this matter.

Assistant Attorney General Kimberly Hyde while the defendant is represented by Assistant Public Defender Karen Shelley.


Comment Here