Le Fatuga song competition officially starts next Tuesday
The Department of Youth and Women’s Affairs (DYWA) will be kicking off its “Youth Groups Fatuga Project Song Competition” on Tuesday, Oct. 29 and it will be aired live on KVZK TV from the Governor H. Rex Lee Auditorium in Utulei.
The Le Fatuga Project kicked off over a month ago with a sample song competition display and several workshops conducted by selected scholars led by Pulefa'asisina P. Tuiasosopo, Malaeti'a Siota Malu, and Teleiai Ausage who, according to DYWA deputy director Tapumanaia Galu Satele, “discussed, taught and explained the research of original compositions of Samoan songs and the Samoan language or words appropriate for original songs.”
The project is a collaboration between DYWA, the Humanities Council and corporate sponsor Bluesky Communications. “The objective is to revisit and help our young people gain an appreciation for original Samoan songs and learn how to compose and create their own,” Tapumanaia explained.
There are 12 groups already registered for the singing competition and the groups will be given the chance to compose their own original songs performed by up to 15 members.
Songs are limited to ten minutes and groups are only allowed to use the fala, pake (wooden drum), or Samoan selo (plastic bucket with string attached to the middle).
Viewers will get a chance to watch the show and participate in the selection of the winners through Bluesky text voting. There will be three judges for this competition and they will make up 60% of the scoring, while the other 40% will come from the text votes.
“Our goal is to give the community a show they can enjoy and at the same time provide these youth groups a chance to utilize the knowledge they learned from our selected scholars,” Tapumanaia said.
Tune in Tuesday Night at 6p.m. to see the show and listen to the performances of original songs by the first four groups that will be introduced.
The original songs can be based on any theme that they choose, although the theme should include advice for the youth of American Samoa.
DYWA acting director Pa’u Roy Ausage said the project is also an opportunity for youth “to learn, know, and understand the aspects of the Samoan language and its contribution to self development. This objective aligns and supports the theme of the ASHC in the development of the individual.”
The participating youth groups for the Le Fatuga projects and the dates and venues of their performances are as follows:
GROUP DATE LOCATION
Metotisi Failolo (Aoga Aso Sa) Oct. 29, 2013 Fale Laumei
Nasareta Nuuuli (Autalavou) Oct. 29, 2013 Fale Laumei
CCCAS Laulii Oct. 29, 2013 Fale Laumei
Fanau a Maria (FMA) Oct. 29, 2013 Fale Laumei
SDA Satala (Autalavou) Nov. 05, 2013 KVZK-TV studio
Metotisi Vatia Nov. 05, 2013 KVZK-TV studio
Metotisi Leloaloa Nov. 05, 2013 KVZK-TV studio
Bahai Faith Group Nov. 05, 2013 KVZK-TV studio
Matimati mai Anamua Nov. 12, 2013 Fale Laumei
YFC Afono (Youth Group) Nov. 12, 2013 Fale Laumei
CCCAS Fagaalu Nov. 12, 2013 Fale Laumei
SDA Aua Nov. 12, 2013 Fale Laumei
THE NEW COMMENTS PROCESS
To make comments, you will need to register. You can register under your real name or use a 'screen' name. This way, people will be able to follow comments and make comments back and forth to each other. If you choose to use a 'screen name' no one will know your true identity. In either case, no email addresses will be available to anyone. It is an automated process. If you have questions, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
You currently are not logged in, please LOGIN to post comments.