AS could qualify for grants under Pres. Obama’s net zero proclamation
The American Samoa Power Authority (ASPA) is currently undergoing an intensive program to redevelop the water production and distribution facilities primarily for water quality purposes.
According to the American Samoa Strategic Energy Plan (ASSEP), many of the proposed projects that will improve water quality are synergetic to power savings — but only if energy considerations are implemented as a design criteria.
Opportunities for substantial and possibly Net Zero power usage in the drinking water system include:
1. Development of new wells at higher elevation that gravity-feed into elevated tanks at appropriate elevations to supply established pressure zones;
2. Abandonment of sea level aquifer wells, especially those that are pumping deep high salinity water damaging the basal fresh water lens aquifer;
3. Development of new wells within the upper aquifer mountain front potentiometric zone, which flows under artesian pressure to the water storage tanks;
4. Regulate rampant and uncontrolled well pumping and erratic flow direction reversal by connecting wells only to water supply tanks and never directly into the pipeline distribution network;
5. Locate future water storage tanks at appropriate elevations to serve only customers within the prescribed pressure zone, minimize connections between pressure zones, and regulate with the use of pressure reducing and altitude valves;
6. Where feasible, maintain gravity distribution through trenching, tunneling or horizontal boring in lieu of pumping up and over a pass (i.e. Afono to Aua or Faga’alu to Pago);
7. Size distribution main lines adequately and only T-off of mains and laterals and never off of service lines to maintain lower velocities and decrease extensive friction losses;
8. Utilize variable renewable energy sources like wind turbine, windmills, or PV to pump water and store it at high elevations which eliminates the need for expensive battery storage required for the same energy sources of other demands; and
9. Where possible, perform pumping with renewable power sources.
(This practice will have the added benefits of saving power generation costs internally, without decreasing customer revenue of external renewable energy customers. It will also significantly reduce operation costs and therefore justify more capital improvement costs. Additionally, it will make capital improvements eligible for upcoming power conservation grant and financing programs under President Obama’s net zero proclamation.)
‘Net Zero’ was made through Executive Order 13514 titled Federal Leadership in Environmental, Energy, and Economic Performance and issued on October 5, 2009.
It mandates that at least 15% of existing federal buildings and leases meet Energy Efficiency Guiding Principles by 2015, and that annual progress be made toward 100% conformance of all federal buildings, with the goal of 100% of all new federal buildings achieving zero-net-energy by 2030.
As ASPA removes cesspools, adds treatment capacity, increases wastewater collection system and disinfection, energy use for wastewater collection and treatment will increase. The east side lift stations and Ultra Violet Disinfection projects currently under construction will add significant internal power usage to ASPA, says the ASSEP.
According to the report, by developing renewable power for these internal uses, ASPA can reap the same added values and revenue synergies as providing internal renewable power for the water system.
The ASSEP draft will be sent to the National Renewable Energy Lab which was contracted by DOI to work with the AS Renewable Energy Committee. Once approved, the Plan will be implemented by ASPA and the Territorial Energy Office.
THE NEW COMMENTS PROCESS
To make comments, you will need to register. You can register under your real name or use a 'screen' name. This way, people will be able to follow comments and make comments back and forth to each other. If you choose to use a 'screen name' no one will know your true identity. In either case, no email addresses will be available to anyone. It is an automated process. If you have questions, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
You currently are not logged in, please LOGIN to post comments.