Poly Football Hall Of Fame names finalists
Honolulu, HI – The Polynesian Football Hall of Fame announced today 25 Finalists will be on the ballot for inaugural induction into the Polynesian Football Hall of Fame. The list includes 20 players and five coaches/contributors.
The Finalists were selected from a field of over 100 nominees by a Selection Committee comprised of former college head football coaches Dick Tomey, LaVell Edwards, Ron McBride, ESPN Sportscaster Neil Everett, NFL player personnel expert Gil Brandt and Honolulu Sportscaster Robert Kekaula.
“The Selection Committee is as notable and recognizable in coaching, media and player personnel as you can get. They have a unique perspective, appreciation and understanding of Polynesia’s contribution to the game,” said Vai Sikahema, member of the Polynesian Football Hall of Fame Board of Directors.
The committee will meet again in the coming weeks to select the seven members (six players and one coach/contributor) to be inducted as the Inaugural Class for the Polynesian Football Hall of Fame. Members of the Board of Directors have asked to be excluded from consideration for this first class.
“The Selection Committee has been hard at work,” said Dick Tomey, Chairman. “This is quite a challenge as there are so many great Polynesian football players, coaches and contributors to consider.”
The Polynesian Football Hall of Fame inaugural inductees will be announced on October 9, 2013. They will be honored at the Inaugural Polynesian Football Hall of Fame Enshrinement Ceremony, to be held at the Hawai’i Convention Center (Honolulu) on January 23, 2014 prior to the NFL Pro Bowl.
To learn more, please visit… www.PolynesianFootballHOF.org, www.Twitter.com/PolynesianFBHOF, www.Facebook.com/PolynesianFootballHallofFame
• George Achica (DT) USC, Pro: NFL (IND) & USFL 3 years, Samoan ancestry
• Junior Ah You (DE) Arizona State, Pro: CFL & USFL 12 years, Samoan ancestry
• Bob Apisa (FB/HB) Michigan State, Pro: NFL (GB) 1 year, Samoan ancestry
• Charles "Charlie" Teetai Ane, Jr. (OL) USC, Pro: NFL (DET) 6 years, Samoan ancestry
• Herman “Buddy” Piikei Clark (RB) Oregon State, Pro: NFL (CHI) 4 years, Hawaiian ancestry
• Riki Morgan Ellison (LB) USC, Pro: NFL (SF, OAK) 8 years, Maori ancestry
• Luther John Elliss (DT) Utah, Pro: NFL (DET, DEN) 9 years, Samoan ancestry
• Rockne Crowningburg Freitas (OL) Oregon State, Pro: NFL (DET, TB) 10 years, Hawaiian ancestry
• Kurt Keola Gouveia (LB) BYU, Pro: NFL (WAS, PHI, SD) 13 years, Hawaiian ancestry
• Ma'ake Tu'amelie Kemoeatu (DT) Utah, Pro: NFL (BAL, CAR, WAS) 11 years, Tongan ancestry
• Olin George Kreutz (C) Washington, Pro: NFL (CHI, NO) 14 years, Hawaiian ancestry
• Kevin James Mawae (C) LSU, Pro: NFL (SEA, NYJ, TEN) 18 years, Hawaiian ancestry
• Alapati “Al” Noga (DL) Hawai’i, Pro: NFL (MIN, WAS, IND) 6 years, Samoan ancestry
• Tiaina Baul “Junior” Seau, Jr. (LB) USC, Pro: NFL (SD, NE, MIA) 20 years, Samoan ancestry
• Ray Frederick Schoenke (OT/OG) SMU, Pro: NFL (DAL, WAS) 12 years, Hawaiian ancestry
• Mosiula “Mosi” Faasuka Tatupu (RB/KR) USC, Pro: NFL (NE, STL) 14 years, Samoan ancestry
• Jack Thompson (QB) Washington State, Pro: NFL (CIN, TB) 6 years, Samoan ancestry
• Manu'ula “Manu” Asovalu Tuiasosopo (DL) UCLA, Pro: NFL (SEA, SF) 7 years, Samoan ancestry
• Mark Pulemau Tuinei (OT) Hawai’i, Pro: NFL (DAL, NE, MIA) 15 years, Samoan ancestry
• Herman John Wedemeyer (HB) St. Mary’s College, Pro: AAFL (Dons, BAL) 2 years, Hawaiian ancestry
COACH & CONTRIBUTOR FINALISTS
• Thomas Ka’auwai Ka’ulukukui, Former Head football Coach at University of Hawai’i, Hawaiian ancestry
• Albert “Al” Lolotai (OL) Weber JC, Pro: NFL (WAS), AAFL (Dons), 4 years, Samoan ancestry
• John Manumaleuna, Contributor, Southern California Advocate for Polynesian Youth, Samoan ancestry
• Ken Niumatalolo, Head Football Coach at United States Naval Academy, Samoan ancestry
•Charlie Wedemeyer, Former Head Football Coach, Los Gatos High School (CA), Hawaiian ancestry
About the Polynesian Football Hall of Fame
The Polynesian Football Hall of Fame will serve as a resource for Polynesian Football history, provide college scholarships designated for student-athletes of Polynesian ancestry, educational programs focusing on character and teamwork for Polynesian youth and support other initiatives positively impacting Polynesian culture and heritage. A permanent home within an existing historical landmark or building located in Hawai’i will be sought
THE NEW COMMENTS PROCESS
To make comments, you will need to register. You can register under your real name or use a 'screen' name. This way, people will be able to follow comments and make comments back and forth to each other. If you choose to use a 'screen name' no one will know your true identity. In either case, no email addresses will be available to anyone. It is an automated process. If you have questions, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
You currently are not logged in, please LOGIN to post comments.