SECOND MAN CHARGED IN O&O BURGLARY ENTERS GUILTY PLEA
Mosaiah Olo, one of the two men charged in connection with a burglary of the O&O Warehouse in Petesa in February last year has entered into a plea agreement with the government. Olo is charged together with co-defendant Johnny Talia who already entered a guilty plea last week.
Olo was initially charged with first degree burglary and stealing charges, which are felonies, however in the plea agreement in Olo’s case, he has pled guilty to stealing while the government moved to dismiss the burglary charge. The stealing count is a class C felony punishable by imprisonment for up to seven years, a fine of up to $5,000, a fine equal to twice the amount of gain from the commission of said crime up to a maximum of $20,000, or both fine and imprisonment.
With his guilty plea, Olo admits that they removed the items and hid them somewhere so they could be sold later to get cash. The defendant told the court that he was the one who piled up the boxes that were taken from the O&O warehouse.
Associate Justice Lyle L Richmond accepted the plea agreement. According to the government’s case on Feb. 8, 2011, a police detective, who lives next to the O&O warehouse, reported to the police the burglary in progress.
The total value of the stolen items was $600 and the products were photographed and returned to O&O. Three of the four suspects have made admissions to police in this matter.
Another defendant in the case, Talia is to be sentenced on Feb. 15.
BAKER WHO FAILED TO PROVIDE WEDDING CAKE IN HIGH COURT
A baker, who allegedly failed to deliver a wedding cake she was paid to bake was arraigned in the High Court yesterday morning, where she denied the stealing charge against her. Sianini Foster— who remains behind bars on bail of $1,500 — is represented by Assistant Public Defender Leslie Cardin.
The government alleges that Foster was paid to make a wedding cake, but on the wedding day the family was told there was no cake and the defendant could not be reached.
Police were able to locate the defendant, who confirmed that the victim did pay her for a wedding cake for the victim’s nephew.
UTU FEO TO BE SENTENCED NEXT MONTH
A plea agreement has been reached between the government and Utu Feo a woman accused of assaulting her niece with a pipe last year. Feo, who is out on bail of $5,000 last week entered a guilty plea as part of the plea agreement with the government. Feo is facing a PPD and one count of second degree assault, but she pleaded guilty to third degree assault which was amended from the felony assault and PPD.
The third degree assault and PPD are both misdemeanors, with each count punishable up to one year in jail, a fine of up to $1,000 or both.
According to the government’s case, on Nov. 16, 2011 police received a call from a 19-year old girl claiming that she was assaulted by her aunt with a pipe. The alleged incident occurred in Aua where the defendant resides.
Police spoke with the defendant who admitted to beating the victim with a pipe because the victim had run away from home for four days. The defendant told police that she knew what she did was wrong.
STEP FATHER IN SEX CASE TO FIGHT CHARGES IN JURY TRIAL
The 58-year-old step-father from Fagasa charged with sexual abuse and third degree assault has asked the High Court to set his case for a jury trial. This request was made through his lawyer Assistant Public Defender Mike White, last week Friday when the defendant was in court for his pre-trial conference.
Samoa News is withholding the name of the defendant to protect the identity of the victim in this case. The sexual assault count is a class D felony, which is punishable up to five years in jail, a fine of $5,000 or both while the assault count for offensive or provocative behavior is a class A misdemeanor punishable up to one year in jail, a fine of up to $1,000 or both.
According to the government’s case, on Dec. 16, 2012 a 27-year-old girl filed an official complaint with the Department of Public Safety against her step-father, alleging sexual assault.
The victim told police the defendant has done this to her in the past but she never reported the incident and her mother always told her to forgive her step-father.
Court filings say the victim was shocked when her eight-year-old son told her that he he saw the defendant touching himself. The victim claims that she also has a six-year-old daughter and she is worried for both her children’s safety.
The defendant remains in jail with bail set at $10,000. Deputy Attorney General Mitzie Jessop is prosecuting this case.