Court Report



The government has filed an additional felony assault count against Uati Tanoa’i for allegedly striking a fellow church member with a tire iron. In addition to the felony assault, Tanoa’i is charged with third degree assault and public peace disturbance.

Tanoa’i, who was released on his own recognizance last week following the incident, was in court yesterday for a status hearing on this matter when he was served with an arrest warrant.

Bail for Tanoai is now set at $5,000. He’s to come before District Court Judge John Ward on Wednesday for a status and preliminary examination hearing.

According to the government’s case, the defendant and the victim argued over a matter relating to the church service or meeting that they had both attended. It’s alleged the pair then fought inside the bus, when the defendant grabbed the tire iron and struck the victim on the head, which required emergency room treatment.

The defendant is represented by Assistant Public Defender Karen Shelley while prosecuting is Assistant Attorney General Julie Pasquale.


The government’s case against two men on allegations the pair claimed they were from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) office, and hired people to do construction work, has been postponed until January 2013. The pair allegedly told the laborers they would be paid by the FBI.

Assistant Attorney General Kimberly Hyde has asked the court for additional time for the government to bring in the more than 20 victims, in order to interview them one by one, so the government will know the rightful amount of restitution in this matter.

The defendants, who are represented by Assistant Public Defender Mike White did not object to the government’s request.

Alatise Fonoti and Aperaamo Levi are both charged with two counts of stealing, for appropriating property and services of another at a value of more than $100 to wit: labor services for the purpose of depriving them by means of deceit.

Acting Associate Justice Elvis Patea granted the government’s motion and scheduled another pre-trial conference for next year January.

According to a six-page police affidavit, the government claims Wayne Mataio filed a complaint with the Criminal Investigation Division and told police he and his workers were yet to be paid for services they performed for the defendants, who claimed they were working for the FBI office — an association since denied by the FBI.

According to the affidavit, 26 men told police they were promised by Fonoti and Levi that they would be making $10 an hour, some were promised a TV and DVD player and they were supposed to be paid by the FBI office.

Mataio, who initially filed the complaint with police provided bills and time sheets of the workers to police.

Court filings claim that CID Detectives confirmed with The pair are each held on bail of $10,000.


A plea agreement between the government and Malcolm Dalle, in two cases filed against him, where he is accused of stealing, forging and cashing checks belonging to Friendly Car Rental, and also accused of similar conduct with Pacific Channel Samoa is scheduled to enter a guilty plea this Thursday.

The defendant appeared in High Court yesterday for his pre-trial conference when his lawyer Assistant Public Defender Mike White informed the court that they have reached a plea agreement in this matter, however they have yet to file the plea with the court.

Associate Justice Lyle L Richmond granted the request and scheduled the plea hearing for this case on Thursday. Details of the plea have yet to be disclosed.

According to the government’s case, on October 1, 2012 a businessman reported that a check had been stolen from his business, Pacific Channel Samoa and was cashed in the amount of $1,500.

This first case against the defendant charges him with two counts of stealing, two counts of forgery and resisting arrest.

The government’s second case, alleges the defendant went over to Friendly Car Rental to make reservations and allegedly stole a box of checks while there. It is alleged he later forged and cashed two of the checks — one at a local store, another at one of the local banks.

The defendant is held on bail of $30,000 in the first case with an additional $10,000 bail set for the second case.


Comment Here